Sunday, August 11, 2013

The T-Block

I probably play more games than most people, and I also play a fair amount of Tetris. While I'm no Tetris god ( http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8kqKOlcaZuI ), I do fairly well. Today while I was playing I started to realize something about Tetris that I felt could be generalized to everyday life. No, it has nothing to do with how it is protective for PTSD it's more of a metaphor.

What is your favorite Tetris piece?... The Line block right?
It can't ever hurt you and it is needed for the "best move" in the game scoring four lines at once.

I used to think be like you. I was always praying for a line block to save me from the mounting hoard of mistakes piling up. Today I realized there is a better block. The T-block the T-block is the often overlooked hard working among us. It carries its weight and some extra in the game. It is used for the highest scoring line clear in modern Tetris the T-spin. I know it sounds heretical, but hear me out. The T-block allows you to selectively complete rows without re-covering holes in lower layers making is easier to mount a comeback, It is also an easy shape to get rid of, and it doesn't lead you to the trap of having a 3 deep hole praying for another line block if you lose focus. It is almost never a bad block, but it doesn't have the same flashy draw of the line block which is vastly overrated.

While it might be a little bit of a stretch the line block reminds me of all the people and things that I regularly take for granted. So remember next time you sit down for a relaxing game of Tetris don't forget about the T-block while you're begging for a line block to save you.

I don't think this makes as much sense as it did in my head.

https://commissies.ch.tudelft.nl/chipcie/archief/1999/ekp/html/Image4.gif

No comments:

Post a Comment