Tuesday, May 4, 2010

... A Dollar Short

Hi guys,
Sorry it's been a couple days but I've been swamped as the semester starts wrapping up with lots of papers and exams to study for so I didn't have time to write. Also Sunday all day was my last regatta of the season we finished 7/8 but in both the heats and petite finals we had equipment failure and rowed with only 7 rowers.

Anyway I wanted to get away from the everyday of my life and talk about something I came across at capstone presentations for INDS majors. The concept is anti-viral microbicide used as a contraceptive to help eliminate the spread of STD's. These range widely in type and have not yet been approved, but the concept brings up a surge of moral and ethical issues. As president of the Bio-Ethics Student Association on campus I was enthralled by the various view points this can generate.

The concept could be seen similarly to condoms which when people believe they are safe they engage in riskier activity then they normally would. This mentality of facilitating an inappropriate lifestyle is one some people take. Others see it as an obligation to protect those at risk and give them an alternative. A case to support this is if a woman in a male dominated society suspects her husband of cheating but can't do anything about it to protect herself. Other problems include dispersion methods, cost, availability and safety.

I don't know what's write or wrong, but I do know when I do not know.

Interesting facts:
The book Atlas was not named after the Greek god(?) who holds up the heavens from the earth?
Polar bears have clear fur.

Hopefully I'll have time to talk more later,
Nick

2 comments:

  1. Atlas was not a Greek god - he was a Titan who fought against the Olympians (Zeus, Poseidon, Hera...whom we associate as Greek gods)- he was punished by Zeus after the Titans lost.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you, I knew it didn't sound right.

    If you care to know the book is actually named after a mythical king in Libya who supposedly created the first celestial sphere.

    ReplyDelete